Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Chosen article for this week..

Here is the short summary and the link related to the article I have chosen for this week:


The article I have chosen as preparation to ”Pedagogies for Flexible Learning Supported By Technology” course is titled as “Designing for Online Distance Education: Putting Pedagogy before Technology” written by Richard S. Ascough (2002). The article is mainly about the growing importance of computers in the delivery of education. However, he also mentions the difficulty of prediction what lies ahead becase of rapid developments in computer technology. In addition to these statements, he also covers that we need to rethink the pedagogical models again. In the article, it is also stated that Sound pedagogy is essential to the effectiveness of all of our teaching, no matter what the content or mode of delivery.

This is an interesting article because it provides detailed information about online learning and the pedagogical approaches should be taken into consideration while implementing the courses online for theological schools. The article is a good summary of online learning with the consideration of pedagogical dimensions.

http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/fulltext/118931780/PDFSTART

3 comments:

  1. Interesting, thanks for sharing! I will forward your post to an other students who is doing his final project at the moment about web-based theological courses!
    Petra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Nurcan,
    It is indeed an interesting topic you choose. I did scan the article (I'm sorry I didn't read it yet), and the thing I noticed -just as you described- is that the article is only stressing on the pedagogy.
    I agree with that without a good pedagogy the lessons will not be effective. But it sounds like that pedagogy is the only thing what is important. When I look back on the article from our previous course of Mishra & Koehler (2006), also the content and even the mode of delivery seems important too. But nevertheless we -indeed- should not forget that pedagogy is really important ;-).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nurcan,

    I think you found an interesting article about a view on the combination of technology and pedagogy. I have not read it fully, but I think I have to agree with the author that pedagogy is at the basis very important for the quality of online courses. Nevertheless, I think without the right use of technology the pedagogical goals probably will not be attained.. And I do think that the delivery mode has influence on the pedagogical approach. So I'm not quite sure wheter to agree with the statement that putting pedagogy before technology will insure quality education no matter what the content or mode of delivery is.

    ReplyDelete